Our song collection this week pays tribute to a star who has recently left us to lord it over others in the underworld. Whitney and I were never that close – I found her constant need for attention rather common – but there is no doubt that she had a voice to rival much more vocal birds than I. Even the more musically talented among us, song thrushes and the like, probably could not out-sing the Houston. And now, alas, we shall never know.
The past fortnight has also included the most wonderful of annual celebrations, St. Valentine’s Day. As I am not the most sentimental of owls, you may be shocked to learn that I enjoy such frivolity, but in reality it is the one time of year that I can listen to Celine Dion without anybody judging me. So in celebration of Valentine’s Day and of the late, great Whitney Houston, today’s playlist’s theme is ‘I Will Always Love You’.
I do hope you enjoy it.
- I Will Always Love You – Dolly Parton
- Wedding Bell Blues – The Fifth Dimension
- Bruises – Chairlift
- Made-Up Lovesong #43 – Guillemots
- When I Go – Slow Club
- First Day of My Life – Bright Eyes
- Je N’aime Que Toi – Louis Garrel, Ludivine Sagnier, Clotilde Hesme
- Home – Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros
- You’re the One that I Want – Angus & Julia Stone
- Your Young Voice – King Creosote & Jon Hopkins
- I Will Follow You Into the Dark -Death Cab for Cutie
- There is a Light Which Never Goes Out – The Smiths
- Everlasting Love – Love Affair
- I Wanna Dance With Somebody – Whitney Houston
P.S. Whitney was not the only great singer to leave us this fortnight. See the playlist I made for Dory Previn last week.