Brian has been a right lazy owl this week. Really we’re quite ashamed of him. Not only is he providing you with your Monday playlist on Tuesday, but he’s only gone and made a list of his namesake’s songs.
The thing is, Brian says, lots of people think the Beach Boys are all Surfer Girls, Ba-Ba-Ba Ba-Babara Ann, Fun Fun Fun and that idiot Mike Love writing naive lyrics about girls and cars.
Well they ain’t. The Wilson brothers — Brian, Dennis and Carl — and their friends Al Jardine and Bruce Johnston were a frighteningly talented bunch and there are albums upon albums of intriguing, layered masterpieces that have influenced countless bands.
Brian’s picked a couple of songs that you’ve probably heard (Feel Flows and Sail On, Sailor) some covers done the way only the Beach Boys could (Cotton Fields and I Can Hear Music) and tracks on which the middle Wilson brother – and the band’s drummer – Dennis breaks hearts with his rebel-in-love songs (Cuddle Up and Forever).
- Please Let Me Wonder (from Today!)
- Only With You (from Holland)
- Forever (from Sunflower)
- Cotton Fields (from 20/20)
- All This Is That (from Carl and the Passions – “So Tough”)
- I Can Hear Music (from 20/20)
- Tears In The Morning (from Sunflower)
- Cuddle Up (from Carl and the Passions – “So Tough”)
- With Me Tonight (from Smiley Smile)
- Sail On, Sailor (from Holland)
- Got To Know The Woman (from Sunflower)
- Wild Honey (from Wild Honey)
- Feel Flows (from Surf’s Up)
Listen to the playlist in full here: Brian’s mixtape #5: heroes and villains
Brian’s Monday Playlist #4: Conkers and Blusters
Brian’s Monday Playlist #3: Imitation and Flattery
Brian’s Monday Playlist #2: Brian’s Pick of the Schmercuries
Brian’s Monday Playlist #1: Salad and Twilight Mix for Trash Aesthetics
Brian says: “Always apologise, always explain… it’s polite.”
P.S. Brian would like to thank his uncle Peter for his help this week