It’s no secret that I’m a Mountain Goats fan (they’re the best band in the world, you see). Frontfellow/brainbox behind the band, John Darnielle’s creative outlets are ALL good. From the ‘Goats, to the blog on the tMG website, to his book about Black Sabbath’s Master of Reality, to his twitter feed, which is consistently funny, astute and surprising.*
And just cos I had a read through and a good laugh/heary nod today, here FFS’s favourite @mountain_goats tweets.
- a. “Guys I’m pretty sure I can get all my cultural interests into one tweet check this next one out”
b. “Feminism, heavy metal, poetry, boxing, representations of the occult in popular culture, “God,” any music haunted by anything, and food”
c. “Shoot, left out “the ignored and silenced voices of the dispossessed” – once again the hegemonic evil of the 140-character limit is exposed”
- “If you think I’m not gonna roast this here eggplant in a 450° oven then friend you are sadly mistaken”
- “Two kinds of people in this world: those who would gladly take a bullet for Diana Ross, and unfeeling cyborgs who feast on the innocent”
- “Look, I don’t know about you, but I’m going to mailorder me some fresh death metal.”
- “Undying support to all small kids who say they want to grow up to be fire engines, cement mixers, giraffes, etc., this world belongs to you”
- “So many films fall short because their screenwriters forget to include an evil cult leader character around whom the whole plot revolves”
- “Permanent non-negotiable harsh-penalties-attached moratorium/ban on rhyming “rest” with “best” no matter who you are #seriousaboutthis”
- “When I say “this catbox isn’t going to change itself,” I mean it as a direct challenge to the purported benevolence of God.”
- “I think I speak on behalf of all off-tour musicians when I say I’m not brushing my hair until the threat of people seeing me is imminent”
- “Picking up a sweet potato, pretending to be answering the phone #hello #youllhavetospeakup #hello”
See?! John Darnielle is Good At Twitter. Find more here. If you’re not on twitter yourself, this is probably a good point to get over there and jolly well join in.
And since this is a music website, not a thinly-veiled outlet for my fangirlish outpourings *ahem*, here’s my favourite song from the most recent album All Eternals Deck.
Mountain Goats – Damn These Vampires
*He also recommends really good classical music, which if you’re keen but a total dunce (as I am) comes in very handy. Prokofiev’s Piano Sonata No. 6 has become one of my favourite pieces of music ever.