Cocos Lovers win Schmercury Poll 2010

cocoslovers.gif

We’re delighted to announce that the wonderful Cocos Lovers are your choice for our Schmercury Best Album Poll.

The Lovers’ debut LP Johannes was shortlisted alongside 11 other albums from the past year, and thanks to a groundswell of internet support, pipped Laura Marling’s I Speak Because I Can to top position.

Our Editor’s Picks this year are Broadcast 2000 – Broadcast 2000 and Anais Mitchell – Hadestown. All three are remarkable albums which we’d be very proud of indeed if we’d had anything to do with them. Which, sadly, we didn’t.

To celebrate the poll, we’re offering you the chance to win a plethora of B2000 goodies, kindly donated by the man himself Joe Steer.

To enter just email schmercs [at] forfolkssake.com telling us YOUR favourite album of the year.

Comments

11 comments for “Cocos Lovers win Schmercury Poll 2010

1. 16 September 2010 at 7:44 pm

I did not expect that. I must give it a more thorough listen obviously.

• Murray
      17 September 2010 at 4:15 pm

Unfotunately, I kinda was expecting it, looking at the comments on this poll. I’m with you though Sam, I’m listening to it now… wondering?? Are there Morris Dancers in the band? Well Done anyway!

• will
        18 September 2010 at 8:36 am

??? morris men?

• Murray
          19 September 2010 at 11:37 am

Sorry, but listening to this lot – I can picture frilly men hopping around waving white hankerchiefs. Perhaps in ‘surrender’?

• Peter
            1 October 2010 at 12:35 am

Murray, you are not listening properly, they are much sppokier than Morris Men and very much prettier. You must see them, they are da bomb.

2. Nicky
    16 September 2010 at 11:28 pm

Congratulations my lovelies…..Johannes is a beautiful album.Every home should have one!x

3. Sophie
    17 September 2010 at 8:59 am

THEY ARE THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLD

4. Jeffrey Coolio Grimes
    17 September 2010 at 12:27 pm

For me, Success is the key to their Success. Love Forever

5. Tracey Rose
    17 September 2010 at 12:56 pm

They are a brilliant live band and everyone should try to see them at least once in their lives!!!

6. K
    17 September 2010 at 3:54 pm

Well done, Cocos Lovers. And thanks to Smugglers (and many of our local pubs) for saving this year’s Deal Maritime Folk Festival. Come to Deal this weekend, everybody, and get an earful of the Deal sound, and catch the Lovers in the act.

7. Ollie Kirk
    17 September 2010 at 5:40 pm

I’m pleased for Cocos Lovers, i’ve seen them a number of times now around London and at some of the summer festivals and they have never disappointed. I know the album was released by the band on their own label and although it may not have the production of some of the other nominees its a charming debut for an unsigned band and shows great potential. I hope other people discover ‘Johannes’ and it gets appreciated by a wider audience.

Comments are closed.