After a break for Coffee and Cake, Brian’s back on his musical tour of the U.S.A., this time touring around the great state of California. Home to surfer bums, angels and oranges, California has more than its fair share of lovely spots, and this playlist demonstrates this in vintage style, with tracks by the legendary Burt Bacharach, goddess on earth Kristin Hersh and lovethrob from the old times Tony Bennett. There’s also trendy new folks like Best Coast, so something for everyone, really.
Here you are then. Pretend it’s still sunny:
1. The Thrills – Big Sur
2. The Beach Boys – California Girls
3. Tony Bennett – (I Left My Heart) In San Francisco
4. Casiotone for the Painfully Alone – Ney Year’s Kiss
5. Scott McKenzie – San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair)
6. Dionne Warwick – Do You Know the Way to San Jose
7. The Magnetic Fields – Come Back From San Francisco
8. Joni Mitchell – California
9. Folk Implosion – Easy L.A.
10. Kristin Hersh – San Francisco
11. Best Coast – Honey
The Mamas & the Papas – California Dreamin’
Here’s the linkypoos for your delectation: Brian’s Mixtape #43: California